Pages

Friday, August 26, 2016

A to Z Food Challenge: R

Ok I have to admit that today's food isn't necessarily the cheapest meal I've done, but it is one of the more delicious ones. I would personally recommend this for a special dinner - birthday's, date night, etc. - and to keep in mind that the ease of this meal, overcompensates for it's lack of "cheapness". 

I am a meat lover. I don't even know how many times I've said that on my blog, but it's so true. Today I decided to try something I've been super cautious about from Trader Joe's. Beef Sirloin Roast, Fully Cooked and Sliced. It's priced at $10.99 a pound - mine ended up being $10.99 - and while I was really skeptical it would suffice for my son and I, we were thoroughly pleased!

Our entire dish consisted of the roast, mashed potatoes - golden potatoes from Trader Joe's, salad - Trader Joe's Herb Mix, and corn on the cob - also from Trader Joe's. With the multiple sides, the meat was more than enough. I ended up eating 5 slices and my son ate 3, which left plenty left over for tomorrow's sandwiches. Like I've said before, anything that gives me leftovers is awesome in my book!


The roast was fairly easy to warm up. Simply take it out of the package, place it in the oven uncovered, and warm up for  minutes. This gave me plenty of time for whipping up the other sides, without feeling like we were waiting forever to eat. This is because it is fully cooked, which is why I said the ease of this meal is worth it to me. Well, that and the left overs. 

First off, I'd like to add that I decided to use a Trader Joe's dressing that I've been testing for a little while now, called Tuscan Italian Dressing with Balsamic Vinegar. I'm a huge fan of Italian dressing, but not necessarily of Balsamic Vinegar, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I have to say, it's a little more pungent than I'd hope, but it isn't exactly terrible. I do think it would pair better with a lettuce mix and not an herb mix, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. 

As for the meat, it's a little flavorless - which isn't necessarily a horrible thing. I found this to be very versatile, because you could alter the taste to your liking. If you prefer a BBQ sauce to overtake your meat, this would be perfect. If you like simple sandwiches with a mild meat flavor, you'll hit the jackpot here. If you want a salt and pepper taste - like we did this time around - simply add yours and you are set! 


I decided to try out the Himalayan Pink Salt with absolutely no distinct difference in flavor. At least not that I could taste. I understand that it is supposed to be a healthier option for salt eaters and seeing as how it's the same price as sea salt at Trader Joe's - $1.99 - we have officially made the switch. No one could tell the difference and I like that it looks fancy, so Pink Salt it is. 

The meat isn't extremely tender - but what roast really is - and it's very well cut. I love that it comes with plenty of juice to let it cook in. I also poured juice on top of my slices for extra deliciousness. I like the portion as well. I really thought that it wouldn't be enough, but to be perfectly honest with you, I think it would feed 3 - maybe 4 - people, IF you are pairing it with sides. If you're simply just eating the meat, to each their own, I would say that this could possibly feed 2 adults. Again, it's all depending on how much you eat. 

For drinking, we had the Trader Joe's lemonade again. You may recognize it from last week's Friday Food Challenge. It's a concentrate that you pour into a pitcher frozen or defrosted, then add water to create a whole bunch of delicious. We are OBSESSED with this product from Trader Joe's!!! You can see last week's food review - including the Lemonade - HERE.

Overall it was filling and scrumptious. I don't think I will continuously purchase the roast, merely due to the price, but I do think it's a good purchase for a special dinner. I'm actually really excited for tomorrow's lunch, where we will be making roast sandwiches, which are my favorite. I also really like how easy it is to make it. Warm it up and you're greeted with a semi-tender roast that allows you to have any flavor your meat heart desires. 

And there you have it guys, this weeks Food Challenge. I was having a hard time choosing what to do for this weeks challenge, not because there aren't many "R" foods, but because there are SO many. I wanted to just do them all, but funds don't allow for a buffet styled dinner. Besides, how much can one woman and a 5 year old really eat? 

Happy Friday everyone and I really hope you all had a great week! Luckily I've started to feel a little better (see HERE to read about what happened), so I've finally been able to get some rest. I've had some horrible back pain - that's for another blog post - but nothing I can't handle. I can't wait to talk to you all on Monday! Have a wonderful weekend and share with me what you guys are doing, on Instagram! If you use #TWRC, maybe you'll be featured! *wink wink*. 

Stay safe, stay awesome, and stay rockin!




No comments:

Post a Comment