Pages

Friday, August 19, 2016

A to Z Food Challenge: Q

Today's challenge was a particularly challenging challenge. I really didn't know what I was going to do. I knew I could've gone the "Quinoa route", but my son is NOT a fan. Seeing as how I really wanted to do a challenge that could be easily be recreated for all the fellow parents out there, I decided to take the semi easy route. Quesadillas, but with a minor twist!

I absolutely freaking love quesadillas. They're quick, delicious, and easily doctored to your liking. My son also loves quesadillas, but he's more particular about what goes into his. Recently I experimented with his quesadillas and it turned out to be a huge success! Everyone I've made them for, instantly falls in love with them and wants to know the "big secret" to how I get my quesadillas to be extremely flavorful and the cheese extra creamy inside. 

That's when it dawned on me this morning. Most people might not even think to try the quesadillas the way I make them, which means they are truly missing out! The best part about my "recipe", is that it's literally the easiest alteration you can make to it. The secret? More cheese! Let me explain.

When I originally made my quesadillas, I would simply inset colby jack cheese and avocados in between two tortillas, fry them on a skillet with a little butter, and that was it. But I decided to add a cheese that is smooth and creamy. Laughing Cow's spreadable cheese. You know, the little cheese that comes in a circle tin and it cut into individual triangles? The one's made to be used as dip or cracker spread? That cheese. I prefer the Original Swiss flavor - blue container - but you could use any of them. The thing about this cheese is that it's specifically made to be a soft spread. If you evenly spread this cheese all over one of the tortillas, put your regular quesadilla cheese on top, and cover it with the other tortilla, you'll be gifted with an ooey-gooey, creamy, and rich quesadilla like you wouldn't believe! 

As far as the avocado goes, that's purely optional. It's delicious with or without it. My son prefers his with the avocado inside, I like mine placed on top for each bite, and others choose to go avocado-free. Regardless, it's amazing. 

This started out as sort of an accident. My son was really wanting a quesadilla one day, but I only had enough colby jack cheese to cover half the tortilla. We had a 2 Laughing Cow triangles left - you'll need roughly 2 to evenly cover one whole flour tortilla thinly, so I decided to go ahead and add it to the mix. I just spread the colby jack cheese sporadically throughout and hoped maybe my son would like it. He LOVED it. It was devoured within minutes!

I'm telling you, whenever I make one for family or friends, they always ask "What kind of cheese is this?! It's amazing!" 

The reason this works so well isn't just because it's easily spread, but because it holds its flavor. When you use a different cheese - since the Laughing Cow cheese is Swiss, I recommend using a different kind of regular cheese to pair with it - you can taste each distinct flavor in each bite, BUT they mix in a way that you just can't get enough. The combination gives you the taste of each with it's own twist. The avocado also makes an excellent pair, as it enhances all the flavors. I use a little salt in mine as well, but very little. Just enough for the avocado to have additional flavor.

And there you have it. Simple right?! The best part is that you can use whatever cheese you like, whatever Laughing Cow you like, and whatever tortilla you like! It's just as quick and simple - just add a few seconds to spread the cheese - and you'll be granted a delicious treat that you won't believe. I know it seems like a really easy challenge, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share this trick with you all! 

Also, I wanted to share this additional tidbit of information. I went to Trader Joe's this past week and picked up this Lemonade concentrate. It's found in the frozen section and only cost $1.99. You simply pour it into a pitcher frozen - or leave it in the fridge to defrost and pour it in like that - and add water. THAT'S IT! It's absolutely amazing and some of thee best lemonade I've ever tasted! No sugar needed! My son and I are obsessed and it's makes for an excellent refreshing beverage for almost any meal! Including these mouth watering quesadillas. 

Have an awesome weekend you guys and try this newly found tip! Let me know what you guys think if you do! I'd love to know you're thoughts. And if you have any additional tips on how you like to make your quesadillas, I'd love to know!!!

Happy weekend!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great tip! Will give it a try next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's such a simple thing, but the outcome is SOOO delicious! Let me know how it works out for you! It also taste great on a grilled cheese!

      Delete