Pages

Monday, July 25, 2016

Food Rings!!!

If you've seen my Instagram photo from this weekend, then you may have an idea on what today's blog post is about. If you haven't then don't worry, I'll explain - and show you - what I'm talking about!

As I've mentioned before, I am certainly into arts and crafts. For calming my nerves, killing the time late at night - insomnia sucks, in case you were unaware - and of course to practice art. It puts me in a sense of tranquility that I hardly find anywhere else. Since the past week had been a little rough on my emotions, my insomnia was beginning to slowly get worse. So I decided to whip out my pile of Sculpey's clay and paint to create something I thought would be unique. 

It's not surprised I absolutely LOVE food. Not only is it needed to survive, but it's freaking delicious. Well, some of it. So to commemorate my love of food and love of unique jewelry pieces, I thought I'd create some rings that have a few of my favorite foods on them. 


One reason I love food, is the memories I have around them. I know it sounds like the beginning of a bad eating habit, but hear me out. When I was little, I'd spend all day with my Abuelita to cook Christmas dinner, then everyone would gather around and just be with each other. I grew up having wonderful conversations and fun times around kitchen tables. From frosting numerous birthday cakes to playing games at the buffet table. I try to instill that same amount of happy times with my son at our kitchen table. 

Besides the whole "memory lane" story, who doesn't like miniature food?! It's hilarious and adorable. Seeing as how I really REALLY love the idea of displaying tiny plates of my favorite foods, I decided to create a miniature collection of miniature food dishes! I have only created a handful - some aren't pictured because they haven't been painted or "cooked" in the oven yet - but I truly admire the ones I have completely finished. Also, a few that I've created and don't have photographed, are the ones I've  given away to close friends/family. 

Now, I don't have any recent plans to sell them - I've been asked if I was going to - but I have been thinking about creating a giveaway for some of them. Perhaps a contest of some sort? I'm not exactly sure, because I don't know if anyone would be genuinely interested. 


I've been wanting to create more and more plates - granted they aren't perfect, but I am just starting out with minimal tools - but I need some ideas. So far I've created 7 plates:

- Salmon topped with mango, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, with a small lime wedge, and a side of rice. (not pictured/not finished)

-  Tacos topped guacamole and salsa fresca, with a side of Mexican rice, refried beans and cotija cheese, and horchata with ice. (pictured)

- Donuts with coffee (pictured)

- Burrito with enchilada sauce on top, with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans, paired with a cup of horchata. (not pictured/given away)

- A funnel cake topped with powder sugar and strawberries (not pictured/given away)


- ABC soup with a spoon like my Abuela used to make me , some tortilla chips, and a banana smoothie. (pictured)

- Churros with powder sugar, a side of ice-cream in a bowl with a spoon topped with chocolate syrup, and a side of Abuelita Hot Chocolate. (pictured)

To be perfectly honest, I love taking the time to create these. Whether or not I sell them is up for debate. As far as the contest goes, stay tuned because there is a possibility of it becoming a reality. All I need is a little feedback.

Would you guys be interested in participating in a contest/giveaway for a personalized or pre-made food ring? Do you guys have any ideas on future food plates?

If I don't do anything further than simply make these for fun, I won't be disappointed as it's really fun for me. I absolutely love creating these little beauties, regardless of it's imperfections. To me, it's a way for me to self express the glorious moments that can take part if we just put down the technology, gather around a table, and enjoy some delicious food. 

So what do you guys think? Contest? No contest? Keep them to myself? Let me know what you think! Here, my email, my Instagram, or my Twitter! All I need is a little word of advice from all my fellow followers! 

Hope you guys had an awesome weekend and a wonderful Monday! I know they can be a little bit frustrating, but trust me it can ALWAYS be worse!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment