Pages

Friday, July 29, 2016

A to Z Food Challenge: N

Today's challenge quickly became a bit of daunting task for me. It's been really hot over here - it's supposed to be insanely hot the next couple of months, so I guess I might as well start sucking it up - and I really just wanted to stay home in front of the fan. Seeing as how I was getting hungry - I was feeding my son and forgot to eat myself AKA mom life - I pulled myself together and we headed to Trader Joe's. 

Everything is from Trader Joe's. Yes I realize that most of the items I've done for this challenge are from Trader Joe's and not really recipes. Let me clarify something. I am NOT affiliated with Trader Joe's. I am NOT compensated for my purchases from Trader Joe's. I merely love Trader Joe's. I enjoy trying new items from there because not only are they tasty morsels, but healthy as well. Also, they tend to be rather cheap, which is absolutely fan-freaking-tastic. 

Warning: I know that whenever I purchase something for these challenges, I always try to include the prices. However this time I will have to use estimates. I'm pretty sure of the prices, as they weren't necessarily difficult to remember, but somehow I misplaced my receipt. 


This challenge is aimed more towards "snack time". I did include a noodle soup, which can easily be eaten as a meal, but I tend to eat this as a snack with the other items.

The first item is a package of Garlic Naan bread. I believe this was $1.99. I absolutely love how quickly these can be warmed up (preheat oven at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes, then put the bread in the oven for about 2 minutes) and how tasty they are! You could easily pair them with any meal. An Indian dish, a delicious pasta, a creamy sauce, or some scrumptious hummus like we did! I also dip this bread in noodle soup - including the soup I will mention in a minute - and I can't even begin to tell you how amazing it is. I know you probably wouldn't think that "bread" would be something worthy of being included in a blog post, but it's the fact that it's filled with garlic (which is incredibly healthy) and can be used in replacement for chips with a dipping sauce, makes for a delicious - and ultra healthy - snack for the little ones! My son absolutely loves this snack and devours 2 pieces of Naan bread and half a container of hummus, in ONE sitting. 

The particular hummus we buy - and bought today for this challenge to pair with our Naan bread - is Edamame Hummus, roughly $3.99. This particular hummus doesn't have a distinctly strong flavor, but does have a very light flavor. It can be made in a grilled cheese sandwich, with Naan bread - like I mentioned, or even as an alternative to pasta sauce! I know it sounds strange and it may not be for everyone, but I love it. Hummus is an amazing snack and my little one truly agrees!


The last "N" item for today is Garlic Noodle Soup, about 99 cents. Trader Joe's has a few packaged soup bowls - Garlic, Spring Onion, and Mushroom - but I am allergic to Mushroom and I love garlic, which is why it ended up in the grocery cart. This soup is extremely subtle and light. The flavor is not overpowering AT ALL and while it is garlic flavored, it isn't a "BAM" taste. I personally add Sriracha and pepper to mine, to give it a little bit more flavor. Personally I would've liked it to have a stronger broth and perhaps actual garlic pieces, but for 99 cents I can't complain (PS, you need to let the noodles sit for a few minutes to fully "cook"). The fact that it isn't nearly as bad as the traditional "cup of soups" you see in the store, I think that I can choke back the lack of flavor. Besides, "doctoring" it a little bit is extremely easy. I tend to buy these for when I'm not feeling well or on a cold day with LOADS of Sriracha. Other ways to add additional flavor, would be to add some vegetables, oregano, basil, spices, and/or meat. It's a really good "base" soup, but if you prefer light soups, this is the one for you!!!

That's all I have for you guys today. I know it's not a HUGE challenge, but it's really an awesome snack. Personally it's one of my favorites and my son's. With so many unhealthy options out there, sometimes it's nice to know of alternative options for when you're feeling snacky. If you miss you salsa, try the Naan bread with it! You'd be surprised how versatile these snacks can be!!!

Have an awesome weekend and I hope it's filled with scrumptious food and awesome memories! Just remember to stay safe and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment