Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Crosley Cruiser Portable Turntable Review!

I would like to start out by saying that I am not some sort of connoisseur when it comes to record players or turntables. However, I do feel that my review could be a tad more relate-able, as I am able to provide and honest review including the ease of this product. Also, I am not being paid for this review (I've never been paid for any review). I purchased this record player a while ago (you can see it in the background of multiple pictures I've taken), and have used it numerous times throughout the last few months before providing this review. I wanted to see the lasting -if any- effects it may have on my records, as I've been told it can happen. 

I purchased a Crosley Cruiser Record Player from Amazon for $79.95 (see HERE). It was shipped rather fast and came within a few days. As I opened the box, I was happy to see it was well packaged with Styrofoam. I don't want to stick too much on this, as the delivery is not the main part of today's post. Overall, it was good. Nothing loose or broken, so I was quite pleased. 

As I began setting up my record player, I quickly realized that I wasn't "hip" to the lingo. I didn't quite understand how the entire process worked. I had just purchased a Frank Sinatra vinyl, to pair nicely with my new record player. I love Frank, so him being my first vinyl seemed an excellent fit. I wasn't quite sure the speeds (this particular record player can play 3 different speeds, which allows for versatile use). My Frank was a "DP" Vinyl, which means double play, and plays at the speed of 33. This record player plays at 33 1/3, 45, and 78. I had to do a little research to really figure out how to use my vinyl correctly, but that was mostly due to my naivety of the "vinyl world". 

One thing that really bugged me was the fact that even after I had correctly deciphered the speed required for Frank, I still kept receiving a "warped" sound coming from my record player. It was a brand new vinyl, a brand new record player, and I still couldn't get it to work correctly. Of course I called customer service for advice and even after I completed their suggestions, I was still dealing with the warped sound. Then I took it off of it's resting place and placed it on the table. I inspected every single nook and cranny. To my surprise, as soon as I plugged it in to play, it worked! I didn't do anything except move it. Once I watched the vinyl play, I realized that if the back of the player is angled at 90 degrees, the vinyl hits the backing, causing the "warped" sound I was hearing earlier. So if you play a vinyl, you need to allow for the back of the record player to fully extend backwards. Even then it's INCREDIBLY close, but it doesn't touch (see photo provided). 

After numerous uses with brand new records AND old ones, I can confidently say that it did NOT have any effect on my vinyls. They don't have scratches, they don't sound differently, they aren't hurting. I have read reviews that this particular brand (Crosley) seems to ruin vinyls, but with my personal experience I did not have that problem. I actually really like it. 

This model (these statements could hold true for other models, but I have no experience with them so I can't speak honestly regarding them) has an A/C adapter. Which I find really convenient. It also has the capability to use headphones, a volume adjusting knob, and can easily fold -with locking latches- for transporting. While I don't think I'll be packing up my records and player to take with me to a party, I do like the option. You never know, perhaps we will go to a hotel and dance to Frank there. Although I could always use my iPad as a mini stereo. At home, I really enjoy the old school feel of listening to vinyls. There is nothing like a hard copy of your favorite things. 


This entire purchase has proven beneficial and being able to purchase vinyls at Goodwill for $1 really helps with my love for the "finer" things in life. The added bonus is that since we cut cable with Cox, I no longer am able to have the "holiday" additions they provide for their customers - i.e. the fireplace with music for your television. Now with the help of my Crosley Turntable and my handy dandy Roku, I'm able to not only put an HD crackling fireplace using YouTube on my television for 8 hours, but I can also play my own Christmas music and enjoy the holidays. I actually do this now. Bing Crosby singing White Christmas, watching the fireplace, and drinking Abuelita hot cocoa is one of my absolute favorite things to do year 'round. 

As you can see, I absolutely love my record player and I don't regret this purchase one bit! If you enjoy vinyls or simply want to dive into the world of past times, I suggest grabbing one of these beauties for yourself. Not only do they sell them on Amazon and the Crosley website, but Target and JcPenny's has them as well. I'm sure a few others stores carry them. All it takes is a little research on the Google to find a store -or website- you prefer to buy from. Regardless where or how you buy one, you totally should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment