Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

"Tell The Wolves I'm Home" by Carol Rifka Brunt: Yay or Nay?

When it comes to reading a book, I do my best to read at least half of it before making an informal decision on how I like it. Obviously once the story is over I'm more direct with my opinion, but with this particular book I feel it won't be progressing much. While I WILL be finishing the story to conclude a more decisive review, I do think releasing this review now would be beneficial for those possibly looking for a new read.

Tell The Wolves I'm Home is a story - so far - revolving a young high school girl named June who has two busy parents and a sister who is FAR from being loving towards little Junie. She is enchanted by medieval times and has one best-friend she cherishes most, her uncle Finn. After being diagnosed with AIDS and dying from the disease, June is left with mixed feelings after meeting Finn's boyfriend. What's more enticing is that all the times June has met up with Toby - Finn's boyfriend - has been completely secretive as it's completely against the families wishes. Throughout the days after her uncle's demise she's discovered much about her self - along with a few doubts about her sister's life - and has been invited into the secret world of her famous artist uncle. June learns about how Toby has been around for many years and not only has much of her uncle's life been "altered", but she starts to question everyone's true motives behind it. 

That's as far as I've gotten, which is a little more than half way. Yes it seems interesting in the sense that we get a glimpse into what secrets can creep up after someone passes, leaving us with a completely different view, but it lacks a certain characteristic. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I will say that it doesn't keep me interested for long. I crave the actual personal depths of Finn and Toby, yet I'm really getting this very...odd retelling from a jealous high school girl. She's upset that her uncle may not have loved her the most, or that she wasn't her uncle's favorite person in the world. I understand I haven't read the whole story - and I am more than happy to update this review once I have made it to the end - but I simply do not enjoy the read.

I was hoping for a tragic story told through the eyes of a young girl who was searching how to go through life without her best-friend. I was hoping for insight and to see the real, raw side of loss, while reliving Finn's life. I was sadly let down, so far. 

I've been through a tragedy which has led me to read books relating to this particular scenario - loosing someone who was your best-friend - in order to connect. I don't find self help books comforting and "young adult" seems to be my best call. This book hasn't been a winner, but I will continue my search! If you know of any novel talking about the main character loosing someone so influential in their lives, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

Do you guys like this book or was it a no-go for you?

Also, in yesterday's post I revealed the winner of my Gorgeous Giveaway. Unfortunately the previously mentioned winner failed to respond within the given 24 hours, therefore I have updated the information for who is the NEW winner. In case your wondering who it is, you can see on yesterday's post OR check out my Instagram @thewhiterockingchair. 

UPDATE: I finally finished this book and I have to say, while it is a little bit...odd during some scenarios (the niece's first true love is indeed her uncle and there are a few times when the "relationship" she had with her uncles lover, were a bit strange), I found this book to be better than what I thought it once was. The ending speeds things up and gives you a personal insight into what it's like to be in the limelight of sexists mothers. It also shows how experiencing the hard truth, can alter the appearance of someone in a matter of seconds. The overall ending reminds us that we can't dwell on our own personal suffering when it comes to make a decision about someone's character. It only diminishes the beauty someone may be able to bring into your life. The relationship between the sisters - and family as a whole - is also altered after a grip with reality. With selfish views and actions coming to light towards the end, everyone gets a hard slap of what it's REALLY like to hate someone you know nothing about. I enjoyed the read. Would I read it again? No. I don't feel it was at a particular speed that I preferred, but I understand that each section needed to be carefully written, in order to piece together the end. Would I recommend? Yes. I feel like this could be a moment of clarity for some. It's a 50/50 for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment