Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

How to sell your stuff for quick cash, WITHOUT Craigslist and EBay!

Once a week, I go into full de-clutter mode, especially with a growing child. I often go through his toys and clothes, along with my clothes and knick-knacks. I don't like the idea of having a "horder" house or having my son be overtaken by an avalanche of stuff. I may be over reacting, but what I do know is that it won't happen, because again, de-clutter mode. 

While in this state of mind, I often make 2 piles. One to donate and one to sell. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Craigslist, only because I've had less success selling my items. EBay is an awesome website, but not if you're looking to make QUICK cash. 


A few years ago I was on the infamous Facebook, when a friend of mine "added" me to a group. A selling group. Out of pure curiosity, I went onto the page to find thousands of people, in my area, selling things with pictures and a simple description with TONS of action! I knew I had a pile ready to sell, and immediately jumped on this band wagon. I didn't even know such a thing existed! I have sold numerous things using the Facebook selling pages. Everything from furniture to kids clothes, toys to shoes, and a few old video games that needed some love. It was there that I learned about additional Facebook pages, specifically set up for my city. I now belong to 7 selling groups, to maximize potential buyers. There is also sites for mom's - to buy pregnancy or baby items - and "items under $10 dollars", which is self explanatory. To find sites in your city, you can try searching (your cities name) Swapmeet (i.e. San Diego Swapmeet), or (your cities name) online Garage Sale. You can also just search "sell/buy" and you should have a few options show up for your region. 


Another place I love to sell my extras, is an app called OfferUp. If you haven't heard about this site, it's a place that sells EVERYTHING categorically. It's pretty much a Craigslist, but you have a "profile" for buyers and sellers and you browse by pictures, not words. You can either browse under a certain category or search for a specific item. When it comes to searching for a specific item, take into consideration that what you are looking for, could be under a different label. For example, if you're looking for "wooden folding chairs", you may have to just type "chairs". Some people aren't big on description, since you can view the item in plain site. The other great thing about this item, is that if someone is simply bothering you, you can block them. No harm, no foul. I say this, because I once had a customer be upset over me not taking $100 off an item I had listed for sell. If you would like to sell multiple items, they can all be easily viewed on your "profile". So in a way, it's like a mini store. This is also a very easy way for product sellers to make an added income. I've seen numerous Avon salesmen on this app, but they don't overwhelm the pages. 

A few items that I've found to be big sellers, are baby clothes (especially in a bundle for a specific size), woman clothes (individual items, bundles are harder), electronics, and furniture. I've sold a wide array of items, but the items I mentioned were always the first to go. 

Constantly on the lookout to downsize our unwanted goods, I find these two ways to be my "go to", money makers. Quick, easy, painless. Also, you don't have to give the customers your information. If you want to meet up somewhere, you simply give (or receive, depending on if you're selling or buying) the address, and message them on the app or facebook, when you've arrived. No unwanted emails or texts. 

Hopefully you'll be able to utilize these tips and make some extra cash with all the stuff you've shoved into your garage or attic. Just remember, if you don't need it for an entire year, you don't need it period! At least that's what I tell myself. Happy selling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment