Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

Fuller House on Netflix, does it ACTUALLY do Full House justice?

Let it be known, on this 26th day of February, in the year 2016, I have plunged into the newest "craze", head on, with many others. What has become of me you ask? Don't worry, I have a very good reason. It's my childhood dude!

Let me start out by saying that I have, and always will, be a huge fan of Full House. It was one of the childhood shows I LOVED watching, right along with Family Matters and The Nanny. So when I first heard the news that they were creating a spin-off, I knew I was not only going to watch the series, but be extra critical. After all, Fuller House had big shoes to fill.

So, I woke up this morning with a wonderful stack of homemade french toast, and put on the first episode of Fuller House with high hopes. To give you an idea of what the show starts off with, I'll give you a brief summary of the season premier. This is where I must now warn you of SPOILERS!

We start off with the opening credits of the original Full House, including it's music, which is euphoria for my heart. The show begins in a very well known kitchen, inside the original Tanner house, where an adorable little baby named Tommy sits in his high chair. Out pops the first big cameo, Danny Tanner (Bob Saget). Ah, the neat freak that inspired me to become the person I am today, obsessed with cleaning. Next, my childhood crush, Uncle Jesse (John Stamos), comes down the stairs from his old attic abode. Uncle Jesse begins to flash his Elvis obsession, by showing off "a onsie fit for a king", which he bought for little Tommy. Two seconds later, coming up the stairs from the garage, is Uncle Joey (Dave Coulier) wearing his Bugs Bunny pajamas. Never change Joey, never change. 

Immediately after Jesse and Joey make jokes about each other's habits, Aunt Becky (Lori Laughlin) walks down the same flight of stairs that Jesse took earlier. Through the living room's door, in walks DJ Tanner, (Candace Cameron-Bure) adulting away. They grow up so fast. Apparently DJ works at a pet clinic, Becky and Danny are moving to Los Angeles to host their own national morning show called "Wake up USA", and Jesse is moving to Los Angeles, with his wife Becky - of course, to be a composer on General Hospital. We are then greeted with the infamous "how rude" girl, Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin) with an English accent, which Danny quickly tells her to knock it off in his quirky dad way. Stephanie then asks where her "little sis is", referring to Michelle Tanner (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen), to which Danny then says Michelle is too busy running her fashion empire - see photo. Nicely done Fuller House. Tackle the biggest question I had since the twins announced they would not be appearing on the show. Point for Fuller House. 

Joey then goes on to say how he's working as a comedian in Las Vegas at the Venetian. Nicky and Alex (Blake and Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit), the once tiny little twin boys who ran right into my heart, walk into the kitchen all grown up. Well, it's official, this is the oldest I've ever felt. Gasp! Who walks into the kitchen through the same back door she's burst through for many years?! Why of course, it's Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber). Still has the style of bright pubescent. 


Apparently, she's an event planner and she does things "Kimmy style". (By the way, she's a mom. That's right, Kimmy Gibbler procreated. Oi). Stephanie then explains she's a DJ, and her official DJ name is.....DJ Tanner. Down the stairs run DJ's - the real DJ, not the disc spinner - other two children. We are then greeted with the Fuller house theme song, which is a vamped up version of the original Full House theme, chalked full of flash backs. Pictures of what the actors once were, and who they became. I'll be perfectly honest, I got a little teary eyed. Sniff Sniff. The rest of the series is not greeted with the Full House AND Fuller House opening credits, just the flashback Fuller House version.

Now, there are a few more cameo's that you wont want to miss out on, but I won't give any more details, only to allow for some surprises when you watch the series. Which you should. After watching a few episodes, I have to say, bravo Jeff Franklin. Not only did the show capture the true essence of what Full House once was, but Jeff Franklin upgraded the series for the old die-hard fans who are all grown up as well. It has hilarity, passion, and heart-wrenching moments. 

DJ being a newly single mom
Seeing a single mom struggle with her new title, is something well known by myself and so many others, which is probably why I personally connected with it. Well, that and as I previously mentioned, I love Full House. It is geared more towards adult humor, but not vulgar in any sense. It is truly still family-friendly. I recommend 100%. Even if you've never watched Full House, I truly think you'll enjoy the series. Granted you may not get some of the running jokes they implement throughout the show, but it will still bring on a strong belly laugh. If they continue to maintain a common flow of modern day "issues" - like they did with Full House - with the just as much "awesome" as season one, I predict it will be a success well worth the wait. 

Have you guys seen the show? What was your reaction? Will you be a Fuller House fan? Let me know on Instagram @thewhiterockingchair


No comments:

Post a Comment