Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Cheap makeup for sensitive skin, that's actually worth the bargain! Plus, how to get FREE makeup!

My skin is a finicky organ. It physically shows it's complaints about specific lotions, fragrances, soaps, and of course, war paint - or makeup as most would call it. Now, I may be a mom who often goes bare faced, but that does not mean I don't indulge and relish in the added beauty of applying makeup. Whenever I have the free time, and it isn't completely over run by rampant woman on a foundation high, I even explore Sephora and MAC stores. I'm often appalled by the prices and deferred from ever purchasing anything, but sometimes it's just nice to look. Alright so I like the pretty colors and soft brushes. So what. I will say though, that in the past I've received gift cards for those makeup kingdoms, only to be greeted with breakouts, dry skin, and redness. I'd like to think makeup isn't supposed to make your skin's situation worse. Granted putting anything on your face isn't "natural", but some of us like a little glam every now and then. I just don't want my skin's condition to pay the price. 

After walking down the makeup aisles in Target, I've always been intrigued by E.L.F. makeup, due to the price, but I always avoided buying the products, because I just didn't think something as cheap as $3 could be pigmented, last long, or be safe for my skin. After a while, I finally took the plunge and decided to buy a couple different products from different brands including E.L.F.'s makeup, with the promise to return anything that upset my skin. Returning used makeup isn't something I enjoy doing, because of the return trips and wasting the makeup, but I didn't want to waste money either. Sorry Target.

After a few tries, I finally narrowed down specific products that don't harm my skin in any way, without breaking the bank. Budget friendly products that ACTUALLY work?! I shall say more. Now, I have to admit, a few of these products are "guilty add-ons" that I don't consider my "main" makeup, but I felt it necessary to include nonetheless. This is my entire makeup collection. Like I said, I'm not the biggest makeup buyer, only because I personally don't wear it a ton, but I love the little bundle that I do have. 

Below is the list of makeup products, where I purchased them, the price, and a mini review. You will notice that for mascara, I am currently using the Rimmel Lift Me Up, and that it says it was "complimentary". Well, for being the adorable humans that you are, after my list of products, I've included a few tricks on how to get extra makeup FOR FREE! You may or may not know have heard about them already.

E.L.F. - Target, Walmart, and online.
HD powder $6 : Keeps my foundation in check
Blush in Twinkle Pink $3 : Perfect for fair skin
Baked Bronzer in Bora Bora $3 : Wet your brush to create a more pigmented contour
Baked Blush in Pink Tastic $3 : This is a perfect highlighter
Makeup Mist & Set $3 : Helps keep my makeup from looking extra powdery 
Kohl Eyeliner $3 : Glides on with ease
Matter Lip Color in Tea Rose $3 : Perfect for day OR night

Guilty Pleasures:
Golden Bronzer palette in Golden $4 : I use this for all over color in the summer
Eyebrow kit in Light $3 : Perfect for quick touch-ups, on-the-go
Undereye Concealer & Highlighter in fair $3 : Another fabulous touch-up, on-the-go product

Milani - Walgreens. 
Lipstick in Black Cheery $4 : Lighter purple tones, great for daytime during Fall or nighttime 

Wet & Wild - Walgreens.
Lipstick in Cherry Bomb $1.50 : Red tones, use powder technique to help last
Lipstick in Vamp It Up $1.50 : Purple/black tones, use powder technique to help last

NYX - Target.
10 color eyeshadow palette in Caviar & Bubbles $13 : Truly is comparable to the naked palette 

Covergirl - Target.
Trublend in i2, classic ivory $7 : It doesn't smudge, feel heavy, or cause me break outs

Maybelline - Walmart.
Age rewind, dark circle eraser in Light $8 : The only concealer I'll ever use
Lipstick in Make Me Pink $5 : My summer go-to lipstick 
Maybelline Great Lash $4 (not shown) : I ran out and decided to use my freebie

Rimmel - Target.
Lift Me Up Wonderlash Mascara in Extreme Black $8 : Daytime use, not for glam makeup

Jordana - Fresca Makeup Boutique.
Eyeshadow in Brown 02 $2 : I only use this for my brows, it's the perfect shade for me

PIXI by Petra - Target.
Lash Line Ink in Black Silk $14 : Creates smooth line lines or bold thick lines, perfectly

FREEBIE TIME!
First, Sephora! Sign up for their free membership program and be sure to include your birthday. You can either go online or sign up in stores. When your birthday comes around, you'll be able to go into the store and pickup some awesome freebies! I've gotten mascara, lipsticks, and highlighters from top brands. I ended up only keeping the mascara and lipstick, as the highlighter did not agree with my face. It was given a new home with a friend of mine who adored it. Everyone's different, including their skin. 

Second, Target makeup consultants! I went into Target frustrated, because for the life of me, I couldn't find an eyeliner where the tip would actually apply the product. Most of the thin eyeliners I tried, the tip would immediately dry out and I was stuck trying to apply eyeliner with the edge. Not cool. So I asked one of the girls working in the makeup section and she recommended the PIXI by Petra. Granted I didn't appreciate the price, but I was willing to give it a try, seeing as how every other brand failed me. (If you guys know of any thin, liquid eyeliner that is cheaper, but does indeed work, please let me know!) No matter how many times I apply it, the tip never lets me down. Anyways, I got side tracked, the nice makeup consultant then handed me a FREE bag of goodies! They were stashed inside this secret drawer I never knew existed. Inside the goodie bag, I got a face scrub, gel mask, hair mask, and a full size mascara (the Rimmel Wonderlash). Plus I got a beauty coupon for $5 off my makeup purchase. Score! Whenever you go into Target, ask the consultants if they have any freebies/coupons. I don't know if all Target's have them, but it never hurts to try.  

I've been using these products for a long time now, minus the Rimmel. It isn't horrible, but I miss my Mabelline. Soon my precious, soon. The other makeup products mentioned, are my true, face-friendly, loves. I have purchased them time and time again, and will continue to do so. If my skin decides to become moody, as it sometimes does, I'll adjust my "favorites" list, but it's been about 5 years and we're still going strong! 

What are some of your holy grail, makeup items? Have you tried any of these makeup products? What did you think? Let me know here or on Instagram @thewhiterockingchair


No comments:

Post a Comment