Pages

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Food Feature Friday #49: DIY Rice Milk, Fail or Win.

Our family isn't necessarily anti-milk, but we don't drink milk at all. Not only is the flavor less than appealing to us, but we don't like the affects it has on our tummies (lactose intolerant). Soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk, simply didn't compare to our rice milk, hence why we only drink that.


As a DIY momma, I got the idea to make an attempt of making my very own rice milk. I did some research and looked up a few recipes on how to create this potential money saver, but I will give you an immediate spoiler: I failed.


I found one recipe that gave me these details:


Ingredients
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 cups filtered water
- dash of salt
- 1 tbsp sweetner
- additional flavoring (vanilla, almond, etc.)


The basic directions were to cook the rice, blend it with the water and the other ingredients mentioned, strain the mixture, and then you'd have this magically mixture to end all future rice milk purchases.


I was utterly confused.


I understand that it's a homemade recipe and rice milk isn't necessarily thee most "flavorful" milk, but this recipe did not give me any hope. It was way too watery and not sweet AT ALL. After doctoring it a bit and doing what I could to alter the power of the flavor, and the sweetness, it still wasn't a good replacement for my Trader Joe's rice milk.

A tad bit disappointing but I am hopeful, so I'm opening this recipe up to anyone who can potentially offer a solution on how to BETTER re-create my milk. I will give each recipe a try (I have loads of milk) and give whichever one helps me, full credit here on this post (with shoutouts in later posts).


I'm really interested in making any and all products I can at home - it's the hippie in my - so if you can help a Jedi out, let me know!


Happy Friday everyone. Keep on rockin', stay safe, and may the force be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment